Jerry Smith, who was engaged in the watch-making and jewellery business in Richmond Hill for over fifty years, was the son of Samuel and Sara Smith, a pioneer couple of Vaughan township. His great grandfather, Jacob Smith came from Somerset Co. Pennsylvania in 1801. Jerry was born on March 30, 1873 at Edgeley, Con. 4, Vaughan on the old homestead. His maternal grandfather, Samuel Snider was a minister in the Dunkard Church.
Mr. Smith received an education in Vaughan and at Richmond Hill High School. In 1887 he entered the Canadian Horological Institute, and after graduation, settled in Brampton, but early in January 1900 he located in Richmond Hill.
Clocks and watches were brought to him far and wide for repair his fame having spread far beyond York County. Not being satisfied with the accuracy of the watch used for timing this repair work, he made a watch that is accurate to a very small degree.
A member of the Mennonite church, his long white beard and snowy hair were well known to all in Richmond Hill.
On November 20, 1900, he married Miss Effie Hollingshead born at Applegate, Michigan. Mrs. Smith was known and loved by all. For a time she managed a gift shop in connection with her husband’s business, immediately south of the McConanghy school. She was very active in Women, Institute work, and a form her president of this Branch.
Mr. Smith lived and carried his business in a house on Yonge St. South. He died on January 8, 1952.