Robert Marsh and his wife migrated to New York state from England, and then to Canada in 1796, where they settled on Yonge Street, Lots 41 and 42 Markham Township, James Marsh, his son, farmed lot 41. In 1812 at the age of sixteen, he enlisted as a soldier and served in the Niagara Peninsula, becoming first a sergeant and then a captain. In 1837-38, he again donned the uniform along with his son William.
His son Alexander inherited the farm, lot 42, on which stands the Dunlap Observatory.
Mrs. C. Marsh of Richmond Hill, has the original land grant, for this property.