Receipt for work done on Plank Road in Richmond Hill.
In the year 1850, a company was formed called “The Markham and Elgin Mills Plank Road Company”, with Mathew Teefy as Secretary-Treasurer, to plank the side road from Elgin Mills across to the 4th concession, then south through Victoria Square to Cashel. Toll gates were established where travelers paid for the privilege of using this road. In 1950, some of the planks were dug up near Elgin Mills, and used as kindling wood.
£ 14 19s 0d Binghause Hotel 19th October 1850
Received from M. Teefy Sec. & Treasurer of Markham Elgin Mills Plank Roas Company Fourteen Pounds 19s 0d on as[?] of Plank. A. Fenwick